Tired of cluttered kitchen counters? Is your bathroom shelf overflowing with products? Or are your garden tools all over the place? This DIY is guaranteed to solve all of these problems and more! This Multi-Purpose Storage Unit is not only strong, reliable, and surprisingly easy to make, but also promises to add a bohemian, rustic touch to your personal space. So, pick a nice weekend, take a look around your home and choose a spot that needs this the most, and get your hands dirty!
What you’ll need:
- One side of a wooden crate (available at local nurseries)
- A drill
- 4-6 small clamps and 12-15 screws (available at any electrical supplies shop)
- Wall paint/oil based exterior paint
- Clear varnish
- Paint thinner
- 2 metal baskets of varying or equal size
- Whip out your paint and brushes and cover your crate. If you want to stick with the rustic theme you can also use brown varnish!
- Set it out to dry. Leave it out for a good 6 hours, and then paint a coat of clear varnish on top to give it a complete look. This will also ensure that the wood does not decay when exposed to water and sunlight. Leave the varnish to dry overnight.
- Set your crate up against a wall, and using a marker, mark where you want to set your baskets. This is where the baskets will sit.
- Drill two holes in the wood through the marks.
- Hold your basket in place and put your clamp on it to hold it in place. Use a screwdriver to place the screws. Make sure they are tight.
- Repeat the process till the baskets are fastened onto the crate, and you’re done!
- You can use large hooks (available in hardware stores) to hang the crate over a door, or you can just place it on counters, or against walls.
This DIY is easy to make, with easily acquirable and affordable materials! Use this as an excuse to spend time with a loved one, or a friend over a DIY weekend. Not to mention that it would make a brilliant house warming gift! Bonus points because it is handmade!